Tuesday 17 May 2016

HG RX-0 Unicorn, It was a pleasure.

While I did finish this model quite a while ago (a year ago actually XD), I simply forgot to post about it. RX-0 Unicorn Gundam was once one of my favourite gundam designs in the Universal Century. With its complex design, yet at a distance looks fairly simple, and the way psycho frame expands to reveal the reddish glow made this model turn my attention to it. But, after the disaster that was my MG Unicorn (being my second MG model), made me keep my distance from it. It was only after my older brother gave me this HG model (which had included the special Unicorn head base at a special price) did I decide to build it and see how it went. 

In concept the model was very simple, it had 3 main colours : white, dark grey and dark blue. However, after thinking a little and seeing a few beautifully made Unicorn Gundam models on Gundam Guy, I decided to give this model a special treatment, while still keeping the model looking like the example model given in the instruction manual. Originally I decided for 3 different tones on the white areas, but after the initial base coat of white and also the lack of detail this model had compared to the example I followed (it was a PG model), I decided to stick to 2 tones.

This model ended up being the favourite of my collection, even though completing was pretty tough. I also tried a new style of panel lining with this model. Because of all the detail Unicorn has packed in its tiny 1/144 scale, using a normal panel liner would not look good with thick panel lining (in my opinion) so I had to aim for a thinner panel-liner, and it was the humble HB pencil. Initially, before top coating (which is highly recommended if you're going to panel line with a pencil on a white model), the panel-lines looked weird because of the reflective look from pencil lines. However, I was pleasantly surprised with the look after top coating, as it gave a model a very even and flat look.





(Above) The model in all its glory~

The colours/colour mixtures used :

Majority of the white parts : Tamiya Enamel Flat White

Accent tones on the white parts : Tamiya Enamel Flat White (7 parts)
                                                      Tamiya Enamel Neutral Grey (1 part)

Joints, hands and waist : Tamiya Enamel Dark Grey

Feet and Backpack : Tamiya Enamel Flat Blue (3 parts)
                                  Tamiya Enamel Flat White (1 part)

Thrusters (Outside): Tamiya Enamel Chrome Silver
                (Inside): Tamiya Enamel Gold Leaf

Bazooka : Tamiya Enamel Dark Grey

Extender Piece in the Bazooka : Tamiya Enamel Neutral Grey


 (Above) The articulations for the model is my major complaint. The arms and legs are limited to about 90 degrees of articulation, making it really hard to put it in certain poses, however, since all Unicorn has to do is look cool, that doesn't seem to be a problem.


(Above) Since the model cannot transform, there are no gap problems with the HG models, and everything looks nice and secure. The MG model while being capable of transforming, can sometimes have gaps revealing the red parts of the psycho frame, hence it takes a bit longer to poses and correct for to ensure it looks good on camera.


(Above) The thrusters are painted Chrome Silver on the outside and Gold Leaf on the inside, however flat top coating the model makes it loose its shine.


(Above) My attempt at posing the model. This was the best I could do in a dynamic beam saber wielding pose.




(Above) The Unicorn mode model comes only with the Bazooka, for the beam rifle, you need to purchase the Destroy mode model as well. Well played Bandai... well played...

The building process did not go as smooth as I thought it would, but then again, my builds never do. I had a problem with the white paint which I think is very old paint, and doesn't adhere to the kit as smoothly as I hoped it would. This was especially important cause I wanted the layers to be as thin as possible to keep the model looking nice. I had to sand down a few parts, the left arm and shoulder armour as well as the rear skirt armour. You might still be able to see the rough paint job there. And that's pretty much it, Unicorn you're one of my favourites again.





JIM-san

No comments: