Sunday 23 December 2012

What I should have Posted a long time ago...

If you had noticed, I never really posted about how I finished some of the SD soldiers in the picture at the right corner of my blog. The fact is, I actually had forgotten to blog about this specific soldier because I had tried a lot of new things, well I consider them to be a lot at least. Some of the new things which I had tried was, my first fully painted model, this was before my Heavyarms, if I'm not mistaken I did this either early this year, in January or last year. Secondly was adding extra panel-lines to the model, I had never really changed much on a model before other than sanding it or painting certain parts.

But anyways, lets jump to the model, I initially started looking for this particular model after spotting the different looking Military Unit at a shop in Sungai Wang, KL. So, when I went back home, I attempted to find it only because it was different. So after looking around for a while, I found out that this model could only be obtained by buying the individual Military Unit packs, so after looking around for, and trying my best to see whether the model inside the plastic was different, I bought 1, my bro bought 1. And the very reason I started fully painting a model was because I had to for this one, in the pictures below you can see that it is originally red in colour.



I started off my painting a base colour of white on the face, ribbon and legs. But I later decided that they would be grey, to make them, darker than the standard Military Unit, and also just to show that these guys are the bad guys. I had also etched onto the forehead and sanded it flat. I tried my best to make it look like the original picture of it in the anime. Quite a rough job, my first time anyways.


Just a comparison between mine and my bro's, mine was red, my bro's was orange, as show in the pic above. And you can see the pencil drawing on where to etch the panel-lines on the forehead. You can also clearly see on the orange one, the forehead looks different.


The arm, or arms, were quite a pain to paint, cause they had at white colour in the joint area, which so happens to be one of the smallest and hardest to reach areas of my paint brush, but managed to pull it off, with a lot of re-painting.


The base colours are painted on, and as you can see, with much spill over.


Painted on the green colour for the main body colour. This did not need a base coat, cause I was pretty sure the dark green would stick well to the plastic, also, the whole model it red anyways. Thankfully, I did not need to mix and paints for this colour, it was readily available.



The above images were after some initial paint-overs and some minor panel-lining to the head area. You can see the gold which I painted on, and how messy of a job I did on the first few coats of paint on. You can also see the grey colour I painted on the the legs and face area. The ribbon, however, I maintained pure flat white.





After a lot of cleaning up, and some finishing touches to the body area, and panel-lining, the body was finally finished, but the eye visor and eye had yet to be painted. At that time, I was still thinking of what colour to paint the eye, I was thinking of a light yellow, bright red and light pink. But I went with light pink cause that was how it was in the anime.


And this is the final product for the main body and head, they're pretty much the same part anyway. I painted the visor glossy black to give it a shiny look. And you can see how rough my painting was.



A comparison between my bro's Military Unit and my almost finished model. I was going to use my Military Units, but they were quite messy, so I went with my bro's much cleaner models.


The finished model with my bro's finished model. The arms took quite a while to paint and clean up because of how small they the grey areas and the hands were.








And at last the model was finished!! Took me a while for the entire model to be completed but in the end I was quite worth the time. However, this was one of my roughly painted models, look at the texture on some of the area, you can clearly see how I didn't mix enough thinner into the paint to give it a smooth texture. Nevertheless, a great piece I added to my collection. I should have posted you on my blog earlier, forgive me model...





Farid

No comments: