Sunday 21 July 2013

A Little about Opinions...

Recently, I have been spending a lot of my time watching videos on YouTube, most of them being news about gaming news, and I noticed something very interesting, as unbiased and neutral some people try to be, and I acknowledge and respect that of them, it is almost impossible to be entirely unbiased or neutral. Well the main reason for this is that, its is natural for some people to like or dislike certain things for their own personal reasons. For example, when you see a new game, or a new toy, and somehow that game or toy appeals to you so much that the only reason you can come up with to buy it would be "It looks cool/nice/interesting/etc." And you know very well that not everyone can say the same for that exact same game or toy. Some might not even give it a second look, some might look at it, and for no reason hate it out right, and so on.

The main reason I started this post is, mainly to rant and voice my thoughts on this very topic, someone's or one's OPINION on certain things. I used to watch the videos on YouTube and read through the comments and see a war brew or go on on almost very video that has to do with which games/music/singer/series/movies/anime/and so on are better, top 10 games/music/music genre/singer/series/movies/anime/and so, or even just one YouTuber's opinion on that certain game/music/music genre/singer/series/movies/anime/and so on. And it just occurs to me that maybe some of them do it for fun, or because they fail to read the title for certain videos like "My Top 10.... " or "My Opinion On..." or maybe because they do it for their own personal fun, or maybe they cannot handle the fact that someone does not find something which they find to be the most exciting thing ever to be not as interesting (those are a lot of maybes, but its always uncertainty when it comes to humans, as I am human).

And you see this go for everything. For example in the gaming universe, certain people, fans mostly go on and on about how awesome or good a certain product. For example there's this gaming war and console war about which product is better, the PS3, PC, Xbox 360 or Nintendo Wii. Or about which gaming experience is much better on a console (and if console which one Xbox  360, PS3 or Nintendo Wii) or on a PC. And the list of facts they bring up is both surprising and sometimes, well, not even worth to mention as they are pointless. And when it comes to games the list goes on for pages and pages and pages to come. For example when the game The Last of Us came out for the PS3, some people thought its was the best game this generation, while others gave it an all rounded and even review (to the best of their abilities of being unbiased) and were criticized for it (mostly by those who thought is was awesome I guess). The whole things just makes it so hard to appreciate certain things, for example, the game Call of Duty is criticized so much, but it is a decent experience in my part, if not good and fun to enjoy.

Next, music. I personally like any song or tune, if it sounds nice to me, which is how I thought this things work, you like something, you listen to it, simple. But there are those people (I mean no offense to them in any way, I'm just stating my point) hate a certain genre or music, or any kind of music that is not the kind of music they like. I've been spending a lot of time searching for new electronic dance music recently, because I need a nice fast tune to listen to while doing my homework, and I see a lot of people saying that this kind of music is garbage, and some other genre is better and worth listening to. For example, I don't like Taylor Swift's songs, this is my personal opinion, and my sister likes her songs, and because of her I actually memorize some of her songs (thanks for that by the way =P). So one day, I told a friend that I didn't like her songs, he was actually quite surprised and I guess couldn't comprehend the fact that someone in this world, his friend of all people would not enjoy her music. I thought I saw his expression change a little, but the story goes on. He was even more surprised that I memorized some of her songs (credits go to my sis, and Taylor for making her songs catchy) and told me "Hey, I thought you didn't like her songs?" in kind of a sarcastic tone. Well, I memorized them even if I didn't like them, so what can I do.

And this really goes on for almost everything, e-sports (basically gaming as a sport with their own sport stars and brands like, well, almost any other sport), brands, and basically ones like and dislikes. For example, I never really Apple as a good company in my eyes, and some of their products are way over priced, but you can see a lot of quality in their products. Their operating system is always made to be very smooth, and almost never lag or glitches, but it is undeniable that when you have certain limitations, the easiest being money limitations, that you have to get the best performance per dollar, or in my case ringgit. And Apple, isn't really a winner in this category. A good example being the Apple iPhone 5, where I'm from you get it for RM 2000+, but if you want a good phone, for let's say RM 1000, you have make a few compromises. Another good example being laptops, the Macbook Air, has decent specs, but for the same specs you can save so much money just to have a different operating system (which is capable of playing more games if that is your criteria for choosing a laptop), almost the same build quality, and maybe even thinner than the Macbook Air. The Asus Zenbook is a good example for this, you save up RM 2000 for a laptop that is even thinner than the Macbook Air, and lighter. But in the end you buy what you like, and no one can tell otherwise. Its just that 1 product can be better than the other, BUT in what way? Build quality? Performance? Value? Personal preference? If you take into account value, your choices will be different, way different...

So why did I post this? Just to vent my thoughts, the issue didn't really get me mad, it was just a topic I wanted to post about, hopefully to get people to think a little before just stating their like without taking into account the feelings of people around them. I mean no offense to anyone who feel offended by this, I am merely making my point. I'm just trying to say that No matter how much you like something, be it a brand, company, game, sport or maybe just feel like certain things are important, certain should not exist or happen and so on, it is your opinion, and there maybe people who share your opinion, but there are also those who complete disagree, and there's nothing wrong with that. No one really cares which console is better, I like PC, and that is my personal preference. And in this very topic, all my claims, are all my own, and I may also be entirely wrong about this, as it is an opinion.




Farid

PS I also posted this for that sake of updating my blog, but is has been on my mind for a while. And also, I feel like my posts need to have more substance to them, what do you think? =D

No comments: