Wednesday 11 September 2013

Esports... E, SPORTS?!?!

I'm not sure whether what I say is entirely true in this post of mine, titled with something that really makes you think right? Hahaha, nah, was trying to be, well, more elaborate than usual but that failed, but anyway, back to main topic. As I said before, I'm not sure whether what I'm about to post is completely true, but based on the conversations I had with those close to me, gaming as a competitive sport has yet to be accepted in the country I'm living in. And at first I didn't blame them, I was shocked to find competitive Starcraft : Brood War games be held live with commentators like, well, real sports, for example football, badminton, baseball, I mean basically, the Olympic Games have commentators as well, and with them, they make them legitimate, accepted and also more important in a sense.

No offense to whoever is reading this if I refer to them, but I'm only using them as an example. I had a talk with my cousin about how gaming should be accepted as a competitive sport. The main point I had was, sports, brought with it some other things like communities (which games have brought together), its own sense of fashion for the tools used during the sport, like badminton rackets, shoes (the most common of all), jerseys and many more that I am sure you can easily think of yourselves, it is a very widely known thing. And gaming itself has brought with is a sense of fashion, and also many premium looking tools used during gaming sessions made to withstand the sheer amount of pressure put on them during training sessions, or more importantly, the games themselves.  


(Above) The examples of some of my picks of cool looking shoes, I'm not much of a fan of football, but I am a fan of badminton (always loved that sport).

To be clear, I might sound biased to this, mainly because I am not an athlete, but if I base the definition of a sport on the Oxford Dictionary (UK not US because the syllabus I used in my studies have been that of the UK) :

noun
an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

That pretty much fits in the category of gaming as well. It is a form of physical exertion and skill (e.g. player's coordination and capability in controlling their character or units in the game), and individuals or teams do actually compete against another or each other, for, of course, entertainment.

Not blaming or complaining about anyone, but I think that having gaming widely known as a competitive sport (it is in most regions, just not... here...) can actually give great benefits. I mean having gamers actually have a job opportunity to aim for if they really want it, will keep them off the streets as beggars if they succeed. I talked to my cousin a few weeks ago about this and the area we were going to was where a gaming event was held. And my cousin (no offense to him) was surprised that they brought their own gaming mice and keyboards, and I told him, quite sarcastic of me too, "I didn't know they couldn't use their own shoes or tools in other sports?" and he made an "oh yeaaaahhhhh" look. I just laughed.

And speaking I have yet to show any gaming gear, behold!







Might not be too cool looking, but these mice are some of the best in the market! 

So, this was kind of a my thoughts on a certain topic post, just making up for all the posts I left out last month. But gaming, in my country that is, are not really regarded as a possible sport or source of income, but slowly and hopefully, it will be, cause if sport is defined by a an activity where physical exertion and skill is needed, then by all means, gaming fits in just nicely.




Farid

No comments: