Wednesday 18 November 2009

My SD Gundam

I know I said I was going to post about something else but, this is my first SD that I painted almost completely so I thought it would be nice to post about it. This SD was from KL, my sister bought it with the money my brother gave her for her to buy it. At first, I thought they were for him, but right after he took it he said "Here, this is for you" or something like that. I liked it but I liked another one better.

Soon, I fell in love with this one and almost completely forgot about the other one. The feeling I get when assembling a Gundam is like everything disappears from your mind and you focus on that, only so it was fun. This Gundam would have taken me less than an hour to complete without painting it or doing the linings, but it took me 2 days and is still not complete, the horns have yet to be coloured. This is a very nice and the most tiring Gundam I had to work with, I thought that SD would be a piece of cake, well, I was wrong.

The colouring was killer. For example, one part, the shoulder armour was completely blue, but after colouring, the silver and gold parts were added. Colouring took me about 3 hours, excluding assembly. The lining took me a longer time which I forgot to calculate so I don't really know how long it took. The 1/100 and 1/144 would have been much easier. Now to show you :

(Above) the box of this SD Gundam model. From all sides except the back. This Gundam looks really nice and most SD Gundam have a lot of gold colouring, so you might need 2 gold markers to paint it if you want one.



(Above) The parts that have yet to be opened, Ohhhhh!! The waiting is killing me!!! Now, I'll just skip to after I have painted all the parts and assembled the Gundam without its armour. I have also took close up picture for all that fine detail, if you have an eye for detail that is.

(From top to bottom)

Here's a picture before I added any of the finer details so you can see some of it that was not there appearing in other pictures, if you can find them that is.

Now this is a picture I recently took which was tonight the other one before that was yesterday. Still in a different position than before. you could see the difference, I don't think it was that much of a difference however.

Look at those. Those took me 3 tries to get it right, the lining not the colouring. But it paid off. Look at those shoes!! Nice gold and amazingly it only took 1 coating.

Now the forehead had a lot of detail, that's why I took a close up. This part was hard too. Nothing you will incounter when dealing with full body Gundam models, I guess.

The armour. I did the colouring yesterday and the lining today, I had to wait for the paint to dry and settle down. It was not that difficult because the lines were easy to follow.

The 3 swords. The first sword is actually completely gold. You might think there's no painting needed but the colour, my bro said was orange, so I should colour it as well. I haven't did the lining too.

The armour which was really hard and took a lot of painting to get it done. This was hard because there was not much room to hold on too so I had to use tweezers. The first time i painted a part which is held by tweezers.

The back mounted armour and the stickers given. If you look at the stickers, I only used them for the eyes, I ignored the others and painted on the colours instead. Bwahahaha!!!

Also to add in, this is the first model I painted first before assembling them together, I usually do the opposite, assemble first, colour later. I am only going to do this for SD however, not for full body Gundam models. And last of all, thank you Abang for the SD Gundam model and thank you Kakla for bringing it here. (Sob, Sob, tears of joy). This Gundam has sentimental value.



Farid

No comments: